Wednesday, October 20, 2010

And she's having another....

...that's what the Fire Department and Ambulance men were thinking today when they came to unlock Beckett from the car. Yep, you read that correctly it took 6 men and approximately 15 minutes to rescue Beckett from the car that I stupidly locked him in. Here's how it all went down.

- Groceries purchased
- Grabbed a much needed Starbucks on the way out of the store
- Unlocked the car
- Opened the car and buckled Beckett in
- Tried to automatically start the car (but in order to do this the doors have to be locked)
- Car didn't start, so I lock the doors
- Car still doesn't start (it is only later today that I discovered you can't automatically start the car with the doors open).
- Give up, "it's not too hot," no biggie
- Put the groceries and my purse away, put keys in ignition
- Shut the doors
- Go around to the driver door, it's locked
- Start to panic, check all doors, they're also locked
- Scope the parking lot, I have nothing and I am standing outside the car door looking in at Beckett, panic a little more
- Man pulls up next to me to park
- Blurt out, "I just locked my son in the car, can I borrow your phone?"
- Weigh all my options quickly, call 911
- Report my emergency to operator
- 5 minutes later a firetruck and ambulance show up, lights, sirens, the works all on
- All jump out and immediately go to work (I'm sure one glance at me and they immediately shake their head)
- Fireman asks me a couple questions, they cannot get the door to unlock (the unlock button is in the center console, they have a hard time getting door unlocked)
- Door finally unlocks, I jump in and grab Becks (who is sitting patiently the entire time, pointing at the truck saying "car")
- Fireman, Ambulance all check out Becks, he's warm but not sweating (thank God it was not the middle of summer)
- File a report, profusely thank fireman, hug Beckett who is still pointing at the firetruck, "car"
-MOM OF THE YEAR!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a GM vehicle with OnStar? You can call them to unlock it in the future :) Just try to memorize the phone number to OnStar or program it in your phone (which I know was in the car).

Unknown said...

Oh no! I feel your pain, I did the same thing w/both boys in the car in the summer with the car running. Auto start and forgot Aidan was holding the keys...all doors shut and Aidan pushes the lock button. THANK GOD Kyle was working from home that day and I randomly had the diaper bag still outside the car. Love Smiley Beck..just chilling and having fun looking at the trucks.

Life with Claire said...

omg....that's quite the scenario! lol!! now that everyone is ok can i laugh a little?? =P

Susan E said...

AAH, you will NEVER, EVER do that again, I speak from experience, ha!!! Happy all turned out well, and you made some new friends. :) Susan

Anonymous said...

I did that with Cooper when he was like two weeks old. But worse! My mom and I went to Target, me just glad to be out of the house and not have all three boys with me...a little shopping, girl time, etc.. We get to Target, go in the store, make it all the way to the baby section before my mom says, " where's the baby?" I freak out run out to the parking lot,doors are locked, and Cooper is sound alseep in his carseat. Luckily it was winter. WE ALL DO IT. lol, sarah